Action Items for Ultimate
There’s no cure for the holiday burnout quite like making a measurable difference in the world. While it might sound trite, there’s evidence that it works. But what with all the shopping, the planning, the holiday partying and the recovering afterwards, the last thing you probably want to do is put brainpower into figuring anything else out. So what can you, a busy ultimate player and/or aficionado at the holidays, do to give back?
Without further ado, we’ve put together a list of action items for you. Pick one, pick all, but above everything else, do what feels meaningful to you.
If you…believe that change is more institutional, lend a hand to the organizations keeping ultimate running.
- Donate to the USAU Ultimate Foundation.
- Join your national governing body as a way to support the World Flying Disc Federation.
- Grow ultimate outside our community by supporting companies like TGA and the YMCA that are trying to get ultimate programs off the ground in schools and communities.
- Thank a volunteer. They have a ridiculous amount to do with the success of organizations like Triangle Ultimate, DiscNW, BADA, WAFC, and so many more.
If you...are looking for a grassroots approach, get yourself or your donations right to the organizations creating a better world through ultimate.
- Learn more about ARIA Ultimate’s social partners, or other awesome groups like Breaking Borders, Ultimate Peace, or Girls in the Game.
- Coach a local team. Nothing helps the sport like inspiring the next generation.
- Engage your (or your kids’) school with ultimate. If you need some talking points, here’s an explanation of the concept of SEL (Social and Emotional Learning) and its perfect connections to ultimate.
- Volunteer. If there’s one thing many ultimate organizations need, it’s volunteers! Even tournaments count! Volunteer at Nationals, at Worlds, at Chicago Sandblast, at Paganello, at Windmill Windup, at Poultry Days, at Ulticopa, or at Manila Spirits.
If you...think media and awareness are the best ways to spread the sport and message of ultimate, there’s two great projects on the horizon that need your support.
- Finestra Films is taking a trip to India and Australia, movie cameras in hand, to document ultimate communities and the process of paying it forward through sport.
- The creators of The Sky is Red are making a documentary about the fight for equity in ultimate and are helping underrepresented voices be heard.
If you...believe that free markets are the way to go, we know some folks in the ultimate community that can help you out.
- Convince your teammates, tournament directors, or league to order individual or custom discs from ARIA Ultimate knowing that the ARIA donation model helps get discs in the hands of people that can use them with high impact.
- If you find yourself in need of a wardrobe update, check out the excellent partnerships happening over at Five Ultimate. You can support groups like Ultimate Peace, GUM, AGE UP, and look great doing it.
- Consider working or interning for an ultimate organization or company. The ability to create change from within is incredibly powerful, as is the chance to work within a community that means a lot to you. ARIA has internship opportunities, you can sign up for the Five Ultimate employment email list, or check out Ultijobs.com.
- Participate in classes or programs offered by ultimate-focused gyms such as RenFitness in Seattle! Not only is this a great way to up your game, these spaces can serve as a hub and focal point for the community across team or league lines.
This list is by no means exhaustive, so help us - and ultimate - out! Drop your ideas below in the comments, share this list, and help make the world a better place through ultimate.